In-Person Training REQUIRED
In order to be fully trained on the volunteer check-in process, all new and returning volunteers from previous years are required to attend an in-person training.
In addition, volunteers are required to report to their in-person training one hour early before the general start time to learn and practice the volunteer check-in process. Please bring a charged smartphone and download the app Eventbrite Organizer.
If you have any questions about this training requirement, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator of the beneficiary organization you selected.
Departmental Training Materials
You will be checking in all fair volunteers, press/media, and guests of the fair. Make sure you have had the check-in procedure explained to you by Jennifer or Germaine before you check anyone in.
Please download the Eventbrite Organizer app and bring a charged smartphone or tablet with you as backup.
Your biggest priority is to welcome and appreciate all of our volunteers for their time and effort. Please always remain calm, smile, and be polite.
TEAM Volunteer Eventbrite Check-In
To check in volunteers, stand in front of the volunteer tent. Use a Eventbrite scanner to scan the bar code on volunteers' registration.
If a volunteer forgets their registration:
- Select the magnifying glass in the upper right hand corner to search for them by FIRST or LAST NAME.
- OR jump to a letter in the alphabet by selecting the first letter of the LAST NAME on the right hand side.
- To verify you found the right volunteer, select their name to view additional information such as Shift, Badge Name, and Beneficiary organization
- Swipe RIGHT to Check In
- Swipe LEFT if you made a mistake and you need to un-check someone in.
- Eventbrite records the time that someone Checks In so please don't swipe willy nilly.
- Each year, there end of being multiple "Tom's" from "Castro Country Club" volunteering for "Security." Please double-check the volunteer's name, shift, and Beneficiary before checking them in.
- Select the volunteer's name to view more details about them, such as Beneficiary and Badge Name. Verify that you are checking in the right person.
- Check to see if the volunteer's name is listed multiple times in a row. If they are completing multiple shifts, you may check them in for all shifts.
Once you have checked them in, please remind them of their Badge Name and direct them to the front of the tent.
TEAM Volunteer Name Badge:
Once a volunteer has checked in via Eventbrite, they will come to you to get their name badge and lanyard and be dispatched to their Shift Supervisor and location.
- Search for their Name Badge by BADGE NAME
- If they are doing multiple shifts and have multiple badges, give them all badges at once.
- If they are a T Runner or T Counter, they will have a yellow ACCESS Badge taped to their regular Blue Badge. Separate the badges and inform the volunteer that they are receiving two badges.
- Attach a lanyard
- HOLD the Badge until you have completed the schpiel below. Once you hand over the badge, you risk losing the volunteer's attention.
- Refer to the Folsom Department & Shift Supervisor Cheat Sheet and Fair Map to dispatch the volunteer
- If the Cheat Sheet says to "radio" their Shift Supervisor, please ask Jennifer or Germaine to do that
- If their Shift Supervisor must be radioed or they are a Floater, please ask for Jennifer or Germaine and ask the volunteer to wait patiently in front of the volunteer tent so that we can see them
- If the volunteer has arrived early, inform them that they may now enjoy Hospitality and Coat Check before their shift and after
- If the volunteer has arrived late, point out Coat Check but ask them to enjoy Hospitality after their shift
- If they have a bike, they may lock it in Volunteer HQ but not to a barricade or tree trunk
- If a volunteer requests to be paired with another volunteer, they may make that request to their Shift Supervisor
- CHECK OUT with their Shift Supervisor. They do not need to return to HQ or the Volunteer Tent
- They can enjoy Hospitality whenever they like as long as they are wearing a name badge
- They can even keep their name badge as a souvenir!
If someone isn't in Eventbrite or doesn't have a badge:
They are probably a special guest! Jennifer and Germaine will give them the royal treatment they deserve. Please have the person immediately see Germaine or Jennifer if they fall into any of these categories:
- NO BADGE CAN BE FOUND
- Folsom Board or Associate
- Folsom Staff
- T Counter / T Runner
- Anyone from Positive Resource Center
- Paid Fair Worker
- Anyone with Jennifer McPike
- Parties volunteer
- Their check-in will be handled by a Super Volunteer or Board Member on the side of the tent.
If they claim to be a volunteer, do not just give them a badge or check them in simply because they say they are a volunteer. All volunteers checking in should be able to at least tell you:
- What organization they are working for
- What volunteer shift/assignment they are working
- Their badge name
If after getting this information, their name cannot be found, please direct them to the Board Member or Super Volunteer for assistance. You will never have to turn away a volunteer.
Jennifer will politely inform unregistered walk up volunteers that all shifts are full but they can register to volunteer at the next Fair. Sometimes people unaffiliated with a Beneficiary try to sign up for paid work.
Volunteer badges are organized alphabetically by first name, and by special categorizations. All groupings are listed below:
Volunteers by Name (alphabetical by BADGE NAME) - to be checked in
Badges for Pickup - to be managed by Jennifer or Germaine
- Board of Directors, Associates, Staff
- Beverage Partner Passes (not Volunteers)
- Entertainment Guest Passes (not Volunteers)
- Medical Badges
- Coat and Clothes Check (with a Beneficiary Partner)
Special Badges - to be managed by Jennifer or Germaine
- Special Guests (VIP)
When setting up the Volunteer Registration Tent, pay attention to which areas of the tent are accessible by all volunteers, and which are accessible only to those who are working in the tent. Also consider where volunteers will be asked to check-in and where they can drop off any materials they wish to after their shift; make sure that the appropriate materials are being placed in the areas that make sense.
These are the items that should be unpacked and placed out in the tent for use throughout the day:
- Black binder - contains the FULL volunteer and additional badge access lists, sponsor, guest, media/press, and paid fair worker lists
- Volunteer lists are organized by First Name, Beneficiary, and Shift
- Markers, papers, etc.
- Lanyards (approximately a ton)
- Black boxes for name badges
- Fair Map
- Folsom Department & Shift Supervisor Cheat Sheet
- Signs for A-L and M-Z