First of all, on behalf of Folsom Street Events, we want to personally thank you for donating your time and energy to helping make this party a success. Our community, and the beneficiaries you support, appreciate you!
MAGNITUDE is the official Saturday night dance party for Folsom Street Fair weekend, and will be on Saturday September 23rd at The San Francisco Armory (1800 Mission St, San Francisco, CA 94103). Much like the fair, it is a leather/fetish event, heavily attended by gay men. What you see at this party is not unlike what you’d see at the fair...just louder music and more dancing! Everyone is in a great mood and here to have fun, and you get to have a direct impact on that!
Here are some expectations/considerations for all volunteers for MAGNITUDE:
- Please take note of where your shift is. Not all shifts are at The SF Armory
- Please arrive 15 minutes prior to the beginning of your shift. If your shift begins during the party, please come to the front of the ticket lines at the event entrance to where is says VOLUNTEER CHECK-IN. Do NOT wait in a guest line. From there, let whomever is working there know you are a volunteer, and you will get checked-in with your badge, then brought back to our Hospitality area for any relevant information/training for your shift.
- Volunteers during the party are encouraged to wear leather/fetish gear if they’d like, but remember to dress COMFORTABLY for your shift (including shoes). If you’d rather wear “normal” clothes (which is totally fine), please wear all black with no labels or print visible.
- For shifts starting before Saturday September 23rd at 11:00pm - To show our appreciation, volunteers may request a complimentary ticket to MAGNITUDE after successfully completing their shift. Please let us know at the beginning of your shift if you would like to attend the party (NOTE: venue capacity may impact the availability of this benefit). You will also be added to the Folsom Street Events guest list to enjoy Volunteer Hospitality at Folsom Street Fair the next day. To do this, please check-in at Volunteer Headquarters on Dore Alley at Folsom St. anytime after the beginning of the fair at 11am.
- For shifts starting after Saturday September 23rd at 11:00pm - To show our appreciation, volunteers may request a complimentary ticket to DEVIANTS, the official closing party of Folsom Street Fair, after successfully completing their shift. DEVIANTS begins at 6pm Sunday September 24th at Mezzanine (444 Jessie St.). Please let us know at the beginning of your shift if you would like to attend DEVIANTS (NOTE: venue capacity may impact the availability of this benefit). You will also be added to the Folsom Street Events guest list to enjoy Volunteer Hospitality at Folsom Street Fair the next day. To do this, please check-in at Volunteer Headquarters on Dore Alley at Folsom St. anytime after the beginning of the fair at 11am.
- All guests, staff, and volunteers are subject to the rules and policies of the event, and venue. No outside food or liquids are allowed inside, and all volunteers are subject to a pat down and bag search by event security.
Please read through the description for your shift, and please notify your your Volunteer Coordinator with questions:
STORAGE LOAD-OUT/SET-UP - Friday September 22nd (9:00am-3:00pm)
This shift begins at SoMa Storage (1475 Mission St) and ends at The Armory (1800 Mission St). Transportation will be provided between sites. Volunteers should expected to engage in light to moderately heavy lifting as we load equipment into our truck, and then unload it at the event venue. While limited pairs of work gloves will be available for use, we recommend you bring your own pair.
SET-UP - Saturday September 23rd (12:00pm-6:00pm)
Volunteers should expect to engage in light to moderately heavy lifting as they move and assemble rental and club furniture, assemble pipe-and-drape, fencing, decor, etc. Please dress comfortably, and bring work gloves if you have them. We will have a limited supply to loan.
COAT CHECK SET-UP - Saturday September 23rd (5:00pm-9:00pm)
Volunteers should expected to engage in light to moderately heavy lifting as they unload equipment out of our truck, move, set up, and label tables, and prepare coat check tags.
HOSPITALITY SET-UP - Saturday September 23rd (6:00pm-10:00pm)
Hospitality Set-up volunteers will work with our hospitality manager to load in and set up food and beverages for the crew, volunteers, and performers for the event. There is some moderate lifting, and walking as part of this shift.
FRONT OF HOUSE - Saturday July 29th (8:00pm-12:00am)
FRONT OF HOUSE - Saturday July 29th (11:30pm-3:30am)
Front of House volunteers may perform a variety of roles anywhere on the event’s premises. Several volunteers will need to be “Ambassadors,” directing arriving guests to their appropriate check-in lines and entrances, and answering questions from guests. Many Front of House volunteers will assist with guest processing/ticketing, clicker counting, or any number of miscellaneous tasks throughout the event. Volunteers should be professional, courteous, and assertive; with the ability to be loud as needed! Front of House volunteers should wear comfortable clothes and shoes, preferably black and without large logos. They are also free to wear leather or fetish gear if they like (but be advised that part of your shift may be outdoors)!
COAT CHECK - Saturday July 29th (8:00pm-12:30am)
COAT CHECK - Sunday July 30th (12:00am-4:30am)
Coat check volunteers will work under the direction of our hired Coat Check manager, and will be passing out clothing bags to guests, as well as helping behind the counter with tagging, and storing the bags in an orderly system (the protocol will be explained at the start of your shift). Please remember to dress comfortably.
VIP AMBASSADORS - Saturday September 23rd (8:00pm-12:00am)
VIP AMBASSADORS - Saturday September 23rd (11:30pm-3:30am)
VIP Ambassadors will be at the entrances of the VIP area to ensure that our VIP guests are greeted with a smile and friendly demeanor. These volunteers are also going to be responsible for checking VIP wristbands as guests are entering, and be comfortable with explaining to non-VIP guests that the area is not open to General Admission. As this position interacts with our guests very closely, volunteers should be extremely comfortable around gay men in fetish/leather gear, crowds, and loud music. Volunteers are welcome to wear leather/fetish gear as well, but please note that you will be standing for the duration of your shift.
BREAK DOWN - Sunday September 24th (3:30am-7:30am)
These critical volunteers will arrive at The Armory shortly before the end of the party, and will be helping break down the party. Volunteers are expected to engage in light to moderately heavy lifting as they move and disassemble rental and club furniture, disassemble pipe-and-drape, fencing, decor, etc. Please dress comfortably, and bring work gloves if you have them. We will have a limited supply to loan.
Thank you all again for your time and energy to make this party an amazing event! You are invaluable, and Folsom Street Events and the beneficiaries you are helping appreciate you!
If you have any questions, please notify your Volunteer Coordinator.