WHY AM I HERE?
- To convince people to donate
- To collect donations for charities in exchange for water
WHAT DO I DO?
- Water Tower Donation Collection Volunteers handle cash donations at the Water Towers in exchange for cups of water, a Folsom-branded bottle, or for a refill of a Folsom-branded bottle or any other bottle (we encourage both volunteers and fairgoers to bring their own water canteen).
- Check in at Volunteer HQ; then report to Beverages Department Supervisor
- Make sure to sign in (name and time) when you first meet with the Beverage Department Supervisor
- Make sure to sign out (name and time) with the Beverage Department Supervisor at the end of your time with Beverages
- Please do what is asked of you by Department Supervisor and/or the Super Volunteers for Beverages
- You will be given a bucket to collect donations as well as a trash bag to throw out any used compostable cups if needed
- You will work in teams of two at each Water Tower. One volunteer should hold and collect the donations while your partner fills water cups/bottles: Stand next to each other, not ten feet away from each other. It’s much faster and easier this way...and you get to meet someone fun.
- Each Water Tower will be partially enclosed by barricades. Do not reconfigure the barricades unless told to do so by the Department Supervisor.
- SMILE and be welcoming!
- Tell people that $2 is the minimum donation for a cup of water, but more is always appreciated.
- Tell people that $1 is the suggested donation to refill a cup or bottle, but more is always appreciated.
- Tell people that $4 is the suggested donation for a Folsom-branded collapsible bottle, but more is always appreciated.
- There will of course be signs for fairgoers regarding min/suggested donation numbers.
- Sell up, and not down — ask people if they want a Folsom bottle before asking if they want a cup of water.
- No change is given at the Water Towers
- Remind Fairgoers that all proceeds go to charities that serve their community. 100% of donations collected at the Water Towers fund specific and inspiring projects of our Beneficiary charities in the areas of The Arts, Health and Human Services, and Social Justice.
- You are all volunteering on behalf of a specific Beneficiary charity. Instead of listing the names of all Beneficiaries, tell Fairgoers why you are volunteering your time on behalf of your specific Beneficiary.
- Be festive...make people want to give you money!
- Use sound bites (see suggestions below).
- Appeal to a person’s sense of goodwill, charity, etc.
- Say THANK YOU!
- At the end of the fair you can continue to collect donations until someone with a green badge tells you that this is the last time they are emptying your bucket. Once your bucket has been emptied of all donations for the last time (~6/6:30pm), it is ok to leave the Water Tower (any remaining fairgoers are then free to self-serve. If fairgoers still want to donate at this time you can direct them to the Folsom Street Events website where they can donate). You will drop off all remaining unused cups and your donation bucket to the nearest Beverage Booth; and drop off your trash bag of used compostable cups to the nearest trash tower. Then, return to Volunteers/HQ. If there is time remaining on your shift, you may be asked to help out in other ways.
IMPORTANT THINGS TO REMEMBER
- Do not leave the water tower with any donations or leave a water tower unattended. Only specific people with green badges are authorized to empty your buckets. They will come on a regular basis.
- Don’t put or keep any money in your pocket, cleavage, etc., even for a minute (your don’t want onlookers to think you’re stealing). Leave purses in coat check.
- Don’t set your bucket down; if you get tired, have your partner hold it and swap duties of who collects donations and who pours water.
- Don’t open up your bucket to make change — we do not give change at the Water Towers. If a fairgoer has no cash or doesn’t want to donate, it’s ok to still give them water (these are donations after all, not purchases).
- The stickers given out at the gates do not apply to the Water Towers. These stickers only apply to the Beverage Booths and give $2 off any purchase of Cocktails, Beer and Juice/Soda.
- Everyone deserves equal respect.
- Flirting feels good all around.
- Ask before touching! Just because they are scantily clad, doesn’t mean you have permission to touch their person.
- Sometimes you need permission to talk to a slave.
- Learn the names of our beneficiaries and refer people to the signs at each water tower. We REALLY want to communicate that this is a fundraiser and their Water Donation goes to the our beneficiaries. Check out the groups here.
- Don’t get tricked into “Can you watch this? I’ll be back in a minute.” Your task is to collect donations and supply water.
- Don’t get frustrated.
- Don’t bring a bag to the Water Tower. Things disappear. We will have a place at volunteer check in where you can leave your belongings.
- HAVE FUN!
SOME CATCHY PHRASES THAT WORK
- Thank you for supporting your community (works on those who don’t donate as well)
- Give ‘til it hurts.
- Who thought so much fun could do so much good?
- Help support local communities/charities.
- Every Donation is a large donation.
- Donate! Don’t make me spank you.
ASSUME YOU DON'T KNOW SOMEONE'S GENDER
- Use spirited, fun salutations and
greetings that don't involve gendered terms
- DO: Hello, Welcome Ya’ll, Hi Folks
- DON’T: Sir, Ma'am, Mister, Miss, Ladies and Gentleman,
Guys, Gals, Hey You Guys
- If you don't know someone’s name or pronouns…
- DO: Refer to them by an article of clothing they are wearing or their Badge Name
- DON’T: Use a gender pronoun (e.g., she, her, he, him)
- It’s important to never assume someone's gender identity or pronouns if you don't personally know them.
- If someone messes up, either publicly model, gently correct them, or speak with your Shift Supervisor.
- If you mess up, apologize and move on.
If you have any questions about these training requirements, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator of the beneficiary organization you selected.